Friday, May 22, 2015

Can Geeta Be an Ethical Guide?


Geeta is the most revered book amongst Hindus & even others. Any staunch atheist will also concede that Geeta has performed a great therapeutic (as atheist would put it) role in so many lives for centuries & it continues to do so even to date. I too find very insightful points in Geeta in the sense of spirituality proper & not merely psychological prudence. However when it comes to foundation of ethics, it requires different concepts, arguments & maxims. Many people claim that Geeta can be an ethical guide even in modern era. Can Geeta render a sound & consistent ethical theory? I find many problems in that. I am trying to express the prima facie anomalies & contradictions that struck me when I studied it as ethical theory along with my attempts to solve them, in a form of series of articles.
This is in order to solve the problems. It might be my own inadequacy in interpretation or it may be due to heterogeneity of philosophical schools that Geeta has clubbed together. I sincerely hope that this will facilitate a constructive and critical dialogue / thinking and everyone would develop more clarity irrespective of his/her doctrinal preferences. 

1 comment:

  1. It is a welcome endeavor. This will certainly make people think more deeply as Geeta has touched virtually every aspect life according to many...

    ReplyDelete